I have big plans to print out this blog for a keepsake, so I've been blogging with that in mind. Today we had a memorably funny moment at our house, and I wanted to get it down before I forget....... Sean and Sophia went to run an errand today and they found a box turtle on Canal Street. They picked it up and brought it home. I woke up from a nap and Sophia was so excited to show me her new friend. We put it in the backyard and woke Grayer up so he could meet "Timmy the turtle". That's what we decided to call it. Between the dogs and the kids, this poor turtle kept putting it's head in it's shell and looked a wee bit terrified. Sophia kept picking it up, and we kept telling her to put it down. We made them come in the house to give the turtle a break, and she was super upset because Sean had caught her picking it up yet again and told her not to do that anymore. I sat her up on the counter and we had a little conversation. It went something like this:
me: Sophia, you can't pick up the turtle. You have to let it roam around the backyard so it can figure out that it's safe here and this is it's new home.
Sophia: But I want to put it in a box (crying, sniff sniff, more crying)
me: We're not going to put it in a box. Would you like it if I put you in your room and never let you out to explore the rest of the house?
Sophia: But I want it in a box
me: Sophia, we're not putting it in a box. We're leaving it in the backyard. If you're going to get upset over that, then we'll have to get rid of the turtle.
Sophia (looking down and saying very quietly): Can we get rid of Dad?
me (trying as hard as I can not to laugh out loud): No, we can't get rid of Dad. You would be really upset if we got rid of Dad. Dad loves you and is trying to teach you to be safe with the turtle. That's why you can't pick it up.
End of conversation
It was hilarious.....the things she says on a daily basis could be written into a book!
No comments:
Post a Comment